Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

I WIll Set Before My Eyes No Vile Thing (Psalm 101)

Today's full One Year Bible readings:
Judges 11:1-12:15 ~ John 1:1-28 ~ Psalm 101:1-8 ~ Proverbs 14:13-14

Psalm 101 offers the worshiper careful encouragement and instruction for leading a life of holiness.

I remember encountering lust and the sins of the flesh as a young teenager and struggling to develop self control. Every human being on the planet (with rare exception) knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Thankfully, God does not abandon us to figure things out on our own. In fact, He directs us through His Word by giving us examples to learn from and follow, and "fighter verses" to sharpen and rescue our minds in the heat of the battle. Verse 3 of Psalm 101 has been one such "fighter verse" for me.

1 I will sing of your love and justice;
to you, O LORD, I will sing praise.

2 I will be careful to lead a blameless life—
when will you come to me?
I will walk in my house
with blameless heart.

3 I will set before my eyes
no vile thing.
The deeds of faithless men I hate;
they will not cling to me.

4 Men of perverse heart shall be far from me;
I will have nothing to do with evil.

Psalm 101:4

Today, as an act of worship, commit God's Word to memory, and be prepared to respond to the enemy; resist the Devil and flee from evil. Keep in mind there's a time to fight and a time to run - know the difference!


No comments: