Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Shouting For Joy (Psalm 100)

Today's full One Year Bible reading:
Judges 9:22-10:18 ~ Luke 24:13-53 ~ Psalm 100:1-5 ~ Proverbs 14:11-12

Psalm 100 is probably my most quoted psalm while leading worship. It has proven to be a deep well that I have drawn from time and time again.

The title in the NIV says, "A psalm. For giving thanks."
1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

2 Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.

3 Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.

5 For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.

Psalm 100

The opening phrase begs the question, "When was the last time you shouted for joy to the LORD?" I ask this of myself as well, and honestly, at first I am always concerned about the volume of my expression of worship - Did I just SHOUT, or was that just loud singing?

But, then I notice the little three letter word, "joy". I think it is even more significant and reveals what the psalmist is trying to say - we should be overflowing with joy as we shout to the LORD; it is a happy celebration. Our joy fuels our praise!

Furthermore, the two words in verse two that standout, while I'm on the subject, are "gladness" and "joyful". "Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs." (Psalm 100:2)

Our thanksgiving should be offered from a joy-filled disposition. The new testament echos this saying, "God loves a cheerful giver." (2 Corinthians 9:7)

I'll save any further commentary for another day.

Today, as an act of worship, lift up your voice and praise the LORD with a joyful shout! We typically shout for lots of very good and bad reasons. Why not go a little deeper with God today?

Give it a try; the next time you get fired up about what God has done for you, lean your head back, cup your hands around your mouth, take a deep breath, and at the top of your lungs, with all your might let out a BIG - WOOOOOOOOOHH!!! PRAISE GOD!! THANK YOU, JESUS!!! YES!!!

You may get set free! :-)

I guarantee you'll feel better! ;-)


No comments: