Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

You are My Strength (Psalm 108)


This morning I was up reading Psalm 108 again. I was encouraged by it last week and it led me to a song on Sunday morning in the Annex called "You Are My Strength" by Reuben Morgan. (Which, by the way, Sunday was pretty incredible. God is doing some amazing things these days, and Don Piper - wow what a story!! Thanks, Don, for sharing your ministry with us last Sunday.)

Psalm 108 is a powerful statement for personal worship. Today it is showing me that it's one thing to offer instruction to someone on how to worship, and it is another thing all together to motivate them to actually worship.

While I was talking to a potential guitar instructor for our Conservatory ministry yesterday a very similar thought and illustration began to emerge. I asked him how he dealt with students who don't seem to be practicing between lessons. He responded by saying he would have a heart to heart conversation with the student (and possibly the parent) about what the student was trying to accomplish and try to reveal and path to that end. Furthermore, he explained that when students don't practice it is usually NOT a sign that they don't know HOW to practice, but it shows the underlying issue that they are not MOTIVATED TO practice.

Now, when you read the opening verses of Psalm 108, ask yourself, "Am I that motivated to worship the LORD today?"
1 My heart is steadfast, O God;
I will sing and make music with all my soul.

2 Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.

3 I will praise you, O LORD, among the nations;
I will sing of you among the peoples.

4 For great is your love, higher than the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

5 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens,
and let your glory be over all the earth.

Psalm 108:1-5
Today, as an act of worship, focus your thoughts on the AMAZING LOVE of the LORD, and worship Him with genuine thanksgiving and praise. Let His GRACE and PEACE motivate you to bring honest heart offerings to the LORD!

No comments: